Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:49:05 -0600

Thomas Lord wrote:
    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:51:35PM -0800, Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
    > > For me a Windows support is much more important and in darcs world=20
    > > Windows is a first class citizen. Unless you do the same people will=20
    > > standardize on something else than tla.

    > Yadda yadda yadda, free software is impossible, linux doesn't exist.

    > It's empirically false. That line stopped being funny back in the
    > 1990s (when it became blatantly apparent that no matter how many
    > vendors you pay off, people will *not* shift from unix platforms).

Heh.
It's also the case that the bar for "first class windows support"
keeps getting lower and lower.   Many can and many more will be able
to host virtual unix boxes on a windows environment: run arch there
and cross mount the filesystem.   Bonus points if you can pop up X
windows on your Windows screen.   This is a perfectly "first class"
approach.  The network, however virtual, is the computing system, so
to speak.

With that approach, when you run into bugs like /Windows/ programs
that can't handle a deep path even if the underlying (Windows) OS can?
Well, that's not an arch bug...

-t

Actually, that is exactly what cygwin can do. It even runs a rootless X server. I use it to run gnu-cash from another machine. It's not quite a perfectly virtual instance, but it is close. :)

Remember, there are a couple of us that *are* using tla on windows already.

I've written some code to make the support a little bit better, preventing some of the redundancy in paths. You can still hit the limit, but it takes a lot longer. I think I have all the bugs worked out, but I'm waiting for Johannes to look at it a little bit before I do a full announcement.

John
=:->