[Gnu-arch-users] Re: removing a branch?

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: removing a branch?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:38:08 -0600

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:17:58 -0800, Bobby Holley wrote:

> I have a sinking feeling that I've missed something totally obvious here, but
> I can't seem to find it in the Wiki or in any of the howtos.
>
> I made a test branch in a project archive I've been working on to play around
> with using arch to do revision control on documents (doctest--dev--1.0).
> However, I'm done with it now and need to figure out how to remove it (the
> version, the branch, and the category) from the project archive. How is this
> done?

Officially, it isn't; history is permanent. Even if you remove them, it'll
cause problems if you ever create a new branch with the same name in an
archive with the same name.

For that reason, when you're no longer going to use a branch, it's not a
bad idea to still keep it around and simply seal it (so it won't show up
in rbrowse). If you know a set of branches will be temporary, it's not
a bad idea to make an archive (with a unique name) just for the purpose.

Unofficially, you can just delete the files from the archive -- but be
sure that you never create new branches with the same name!