Re: [Gnu-arch-users] removing a branch?

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] removing a branch?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:35:11 -0500

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 12:21:24PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Be careful.  DAV isn't an extension for writing, HTTP PUT already
> does that.  It's an extension to allow concurrent write access (ie,
> it provides file locking) and provide other services required to
> make writing useful to the remote author (eg, standard directory
> listing).

Good to know, thanks.

> Again, make-archive doesn't know anything about this.  make-archive
> justates the root and populates it with some administrative stuff.

Ah, yes, I oversimplified.  What I essentially meant was, a) all read-
write access doesn't require a .listing, b) the majority of read-only
access also works without a .listing, and c) even if you were to make-
archive on an HTTP URL, you'd be doing it via DAV, hence no .listing.

i.e. I was basically trying to say 'this is why it's not the default,
even though a single use case -- read-only non-DAV HTTP -- is broke
without it'.