[Gnu-arch-users] Getting clueless win32 users working on a project in ar

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Getting clueless win32 users working on a project in arch
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:08:15 +1100

Hi all,

I've got a project in Arch and a bunch of windows users who would
like to contribute. At the moment they way they do this is grab
the latest tarball, futz with it and then send it source code
back to me as a zip file. I would tell them to go jump, but these
people seem willing to do the work that I find the most odious;
the win32 support.

Unfortunately, these people know Microsoft Visual Stupid^H^H^Hio
and not much else. These people find MinGW and diff/patch pretty
damn scary.

I have tried running the tla binary that was available, but that
didn't work due to the win32 path limit issue; "tla get" seemed
to work, but "tla changes --diffs" wouldn't.

I've tried building baz under Cygwin, but the build breaks very
early in the build process. Its probably a CRLF vs CR issue. I
understand that even when it does compile, it still suffers from
the path length issue.

I had a VERY brief look at coLinux (suggested by someone on #arch)
but that is way too raw and way to much setup for the cluebies.

Are there any other Arch options or do I need to run an SVN in
parallel?

TIA,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  address@hidden (Yes it's valid)
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.