Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Getting clueless win32 users working on a project i

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Getting clueless win32 users working on a project in arch
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:22:09 +1100

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 08:41:53 -0600
John A Meinel <address@hidden> wrote:

> I can promise you that my work is Cygwin and not mingw.

Ooops, my mistake. Sorry.

> I can also tell
> that this isn't the actual binary that I released, since the paths don't
> look like what I generate.
>
> First, get the binary from:
> http://ct.radiology.uiowa.edu/~jfmeinel/tla-short-path
> It is tla.exe.bz2 (bzipped to save time)

OK, I just grabbed that, bunzip2ed it, and dropped it in the Cygwin bin
directory. Here's what I get:

    address@hidden /cygdrive/c/
    $ tla register-archive http://www.mega-nerd.com/Arch/2004/
    Registering archive: address@hidden

    address@hidden /cygdrive/c/
    tla get address@hidden/libsndfile--hack lsf
    * from archive cached: address@hidden/libsndfile--hack--0--base-0
    * patching for revision: address@hidden/libsndfile--hack--0--patch-1
    arch_apply_changeset: internal error (patch (1) returned odd status)
       patch(1) exit status: 3

    PANIC: arch_apply_changeset: execvp for patch returned to caller

This archive is know to work from Linux and MaxOSX machines :-).
My Cygwin installation was updated within the last month.

> If you want, you can use the cygwin setup program to get it. I have the
> cygwin repository at
> http://ct.radiology.uiowa.edu/~jfmeinel/tla-short-path/cygwin-sources/
>
> Basically, when you run setup.exe when it asks you what mirror you want
> to use, add a new one with the above path. Then you should have tla as
> an package you can install.

Are there any other changes in your Cygwin repository that would not exist
in the default Cygwin installation?

> If you want to give it a try and let me know if it works for you. I have
> found cases where it still fails if the project names are too long. But
> libsndfile--mdev--1.0 shouldn't have any problems.

Well, if nothing else, at least I supplied you with another data point :-).

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  address@hidden (Yes it's valid)
"I want to make sure (a user) can't get through ... an online
experience without hitting a Microsoft ad."
 - Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer on the Microsoft search engine.