Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch performance with large trees

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch performance with large trees
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 17:42:58 +0900

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 08:27:41 +0000, Catalin Marinas
<address@hidden> wrote:
> > BK does come with a tool to make it easy to detect renamed files in
> > patches and change them into proper renames, and Linus does use  at
> > least some of the time -- I've submitted a normal patch containing a
> > renamed file represented as big delete + a big add, and iin the
> > resulting BK changeset, it showed up as a real rename.
>
> I tried to look at the changesets since 2.6.9 and only a few renames
> were actually shown as renames by linux.bkbits.net. The rest showed up
> as big deletes + big adds. It is also possible that the rename is
> actually shown by the bk tool but not on bkbits.net.

I think this tool generates "real" renames, and seem to show up on
bkbits.net -- e.g., if you look at the diffs for a changeset, you'll
see a file patch where the before and after names are different.

For instance, here's the bkbits diff for a patch I sent to Linus as a
normal diff (big delete + big add):

http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/user=miles/diffs/drivers/serial/address@hidden|index.html|stats|!+|index.html|address@hidden|address@hidden

Notice the filenames in the diff header:

--- 1.12/drivers/serial/nb85e_uart.c    2005-02-05 00:37:24 -08:00
+++ 1.13/drivers/serial/v850e_uart.c    2005-02-05 00:37:24 -08:00

[If this is not happening for some patches, it may that Linus is
simply more lazy/busy/whatever these days and doesn't bother to use
the tool.]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.