[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Configuration file versioning

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Configuration file versioning
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:02:45 +1100

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 03:08:58PM +0100, Sascha Ziemann wrote:
> I am looking for a program for configuration file versioning ("/etc").
> Has Arch the capability to store file owners and access permissions?
> I tried Subversion but after a checkout my shadow file was world
> readable.  Is it the same with Arch?

Arch stores permissions, but I don't *think* it does ownership.  The problem
is that, with multiple people checking out a file, who should own the file?
Also, on most Unix-like systems, chown is a privileged operation, so if you
check out a repo as a non-root user, you can't change the ownership to
someone else anyway.

For all of that, it wouldn't be too tricky to write a wrapper which, on
commit and checkout / update, stored and retrieved/applied ownership
settings.  That would work equally well with SVN as with Arch, but pretend I
didn't say that.  <grin>

- Matt

--
"[the average computer user] has been served so poorly that he expects his
system to crash all the time, and we witness a massive worldwide