Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Configuration file versioning

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Configuration file versioning
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:33:32 +0000

On 18 Feb 2005 15:33:53 +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> Sascha Ziemann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I tried Subversion but after a checkout my shadow file was world
> > readable.  Is it the same with Arch?
>
> No, Arch versions file permission as well as the file contents (but
> not ACLs).
>
> (I thought subversion was able to do this too.)

I possibly contributed to this confusion. My "Revision Control Systems"
slides stated in August that Subversion supports file permissions:

  http://migo.sixbit.org/papers/Revision_Control_Systems/

AFAIK, Subversion only supports executable flag, just like CVS.

BTW, I reran this presentation two days ago on our local Perl Conference.
A typical feedback was: it sounds like Arch is really good, but I can't
suggest to employ it in my company, since it is problematic on Windows.
I was only able to reply that hopefully some complete "Arch for Windows"
distribution will appear soon.

Regards,
Mikhael.