Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: hmm. an alternative to a new maintainer. Hire y

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: hmm. an alternative to a new maintainer. Hire your manager.
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:15:33 -0400

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 06:22:52PM +0200, Andrea Russo wrote:
> Karel Gardas <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Are `tla-fork' and `tla-commit' your own custom scripts? Are they
> > available in current tla version tarball?
>
> No. And... No, I don't buy. I have my good version of tla for now. So,
> please, go sell other SCMs in another mailing lists and stop trolling.

My understanding of this thread is identifying what features tla is
missing or got wrong, so that they can be considered for creation or
replacement.

Stephens is exactly correct. When one compares two products, the two
products are compared _as shipped_. Any other comparision will range from
misleading to false, as "tla with this" is no longer strictly tla -- thus
resulting in not performing the original intended comparison.

But lets leave that asside for the moment. One of the crucial steps of
development is planning what step should take place next. An easy win in
this arena is comparing what you've got against what others have, and
determining which things work and which ones don't. (This is called
"catching up").

None of these has been advertisements. They're explanations of what flaws
in gnuarch need to be addressed for _tla to win_. These are experienced,
reasoned, rational and in many cases professional opinions that come from
years of study in the field. By the way, most of the complaints I've seen
are well recognized by everyone that has ever seriously worked on arch --
including Tom himself.

The damage caused by the sophists in this channel has chased away a great
many people that put their muscle/money where their mouth is. Continued
sophistry will continue to excaberate these damages until there's nothing
but sophists left. This is already dangerously close to reality.

I suggest you consider the following approach for the next time that you
think somebody is trolling: asking them "why does this matter to gnuarch?"
You're very likely to get an answer along the lines of "I've observed that
xx number of people migrated away from gnuarch because of it; the more
successful systems are doing it this way; so on and so on".