Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: hmm. an alternative to a new maintainer. Hire y

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: hmm. an alternative to a new maintainer. Hire your manager.
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:25:34 -0400

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:33:35PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> "Alfred M\. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >    1) Teach a beginner how to use baz or tla. See how long it takes.
> >
> > Took me two days.
>
> I consider this to be long.
>
> One day, I've submitted a patch to a project using darcs. I had never
> used Darcs before. I read a « tutorial » (I mean, a 4 lines long
> explanation), created a branch, commited, sent the commit by email.
> I've learnt how to do that in around 5 minutes.

Yeah, this is close to the bare minimum necessary for Bazaar-NG:

 1. branch location
 2. cd dirname
 3. edit stuff
 4. commit

There's other optional steps of course (pushing to a public location if
you start at a private one comes to mind. I can also imagine #5 being a
hypothetical "bzr send url". :)

> I've just done an experiment: import the Bazaar sources and compare
> bzr and baz. In this tree (relatively small, but still not too small),
> baz status takes 4 seconds, bzr status takes 1 second. You have a
> ratio of 4 (and bzr starts with a handicap: it's written in an
> interpreted language).

Yup.

> And bzr *does* manage partial tree operations, so it wins twice here.
> (I'm talking about bzr since I don't know the other well enough. I bet
> git is at least as fast)

Yup.