Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Good News about GNU Arch!

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Good News about GNU Arch!
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:56:29 +0900

2005/10/28, Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden>:
>    Why?  It seems like pointless obfuscation (note that every other
>    modern revision control system does it the arch way),
>
> It makes it easier to track patches that you send to projects that
> don't use arch.  I often ask myself: what version of the patch did I
> send again?  Was it the one that fixed the error I missed or not?  The
> less I have to think, the more I can spend on hacking.

I see what you're saying -- I though you were just suggesting to throw
away the top-level of the filenames used in the diff header.

What you're _really_ suggesting could be useful.

[Another method of doing the same thing is simply to make the
top-level of the file path be version specific, e.g.:

   --- tla--devo--1.3--patch-3/main.c      13 Jun 2005 00:22:11 -0000
   +++ tla--devo--1.3--patch-4/main.c      28 Oct 2005 09:04:31 -0000

or thereabouts.  I suppose there might be scripts depending on the
presence of "mod/" or "orig/" but those I've written seem to generally
just do patch/whatever -p1, so only care that there is a single
meta-level of some sort.
]

-miles
--