[GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:50:56 +0300

Daniel Olivera wrote:
> > So you say that a free program that is only usable in conjuction
> > with a non-free one is OK to use (and distribute)?
>
> Usable or not if some package have 4 freedoms is free software.

I am not arguing that it's not free software -- it is.  I am arguing
that we should reject such programs, because using them implies using
non-free software.  Until those problems are fixed, they should not be
distributed.  It doesn't matter much that their license respects the
freedoms; if users have to install proprietary software (be it a
non-free library, compiler, JVM, non-free firmware...) such packages
are useless.

> In any case, if all users will be use a "personal opinion" all users
> could decide about non-free software using "personal opinion".

Setting the distro's policy is a matter of judgement that is made by
its maintainers; this inherently includes "personal" elements.

> We vill never block software.

Free software that depends on non-free software is already blocked, or
more correctly said, "trapped".  By ditributing it you are saying to
your users that such software is legitimate.

> you don't need teach about the history, I write de history.

OK.  I certainly don't write the history, but I'd still encourage you
to read the Java Trap article.  You don't seem to understand what is
it all about.