Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Daniel Olivera
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 00:49:12 +0200

Yavor Doganov escribió:
> Daniel Olivera wrote:
>> Like non-free firmware.
>> It's same situation.
>
> It's the same, yes.  Everyone using an entirely free distro can
> compile (or install) a blobby kernel himself.
>
> But a free distro should not distribute such package in its
> repositories.  How is that unclear or questonable?

No.
UTUTO XS don't distribute any non-free software.
If some software don't have 4 freedoms accordit to FSF definition for
UTUTO this software is not free software and it is not compiled for us.

UTUTO XS compile all packages from source code.
Some packages are patched to remove non-free parts.

>> If license respect a 4 liberties is free sofwtare if don't is not
>> free software.
>
> The license is only one aspect.  As nearly no program can function in
> isolation, the dependencies have to taken into consideration.  And,
> for drivers, you'd have to evaluate whether magical mystery numbers
> created for the sole purpose of obfuscating the real source do count
> as respecting the 4 freedoms.

Consideration is a personal opinion.
We make software non public opinion.
If have 4 freedoms is free software.
For us that is de "line"

>> if free software to work use a non-free component is not our problem
>
> Our "problem" is to provide a computing environment that respects
> users' freedom.  So if a package or a component of a package relies on
> something that is non-free, it can't be part of that environment.  If
> you want to include it, then either you're deluding yourself, or lying
> your users by breaking the promise to provide a 100% free OS.

Only if system provider distribute a non-free software.
Us only provide software with 4 freedoms.
That is our guarrante.
if use recompile, install or use non-free software always will be
without our collaboration or help.

>> iwl3945 driver is GPL-2 and don't need any non-free component to
>> compile.
>
> Yeah, everything is bundled with the "source".

No.
GPL-2 module with in the kernel.
firmware is distributed by others.
Are 2 different software packages.

>> if google-earth use a glibc libraries we need block a software
>> intallation to prevent tempation of the users?
>
> Nobody is preventing installation.  The point is not to distribute
> such pieces, not because to prevent temptation -- because doing so is
> some kind of endorsement, and effectively transmits the message that
> using such software is OK.

UTUTO not distribute any software if this software don't have 4 freedoms
according to FSF definition of free software.

happy hacking!!
--
Daniel Olivera (mate.cosido, aun fuera de la ley)
Director Proyecto UTUTO (Argentina)

"Soy y seré comunista hasta el último dia de mi vida"
"La vida no vale nada si no es para perecer porque otros puedan tener,
lo que uno disfruta ya" Pablo Milanes.

Correo Electrónico  : address@hidden - address@hidden

Argentina - Teléfono: +54  11 5353-9494 Extension: 2943434
España    - Teléfono: +34 957 780744          Fax: +34 957 780645
Sistemas VoIP       : ututo01 (Skype/Ekiga)
Mensajeros          : Jabber: address@hidden
                         ICQ: 8368437
Blog                : www.ututo.org/daniel