Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Daniel Olivera
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 21:54:20 +0200

Yavor Doganov escribió:
..

>> Any GNU/Linux systems is not free software, even fully free
>> distribution.  Because any user can install non-free software like
>> Google Earth or
>
> Now that is not our problem.  Free distros do not distribute these
> things, and should not encourage the user to install them in any way.
> The user ought to be free to do whatever she decides, though, and no
> distro can or should attempt to prevent that.

Like non-free firmware.
It's same situation.

The line to include any software may be clear.
If license respect a 4 liberties is free sofwtare
if don't is not free software.

if free software to work use a non-free component is not our problem

If any software to compilation process need a non-free software may be
consider a non-free software.

pam in early versions use a cracklib.
Only removing this dependency pam is really free software.

Same situation to firts version of java.
To compile need a component non-free.
Now this component was replaced, now java is really free.

Zip packages have non-free components.
Removing this componenets zip is a really free software.

Always speaking about compilation process and dependit for this from an
non-free componenet.

iwl3945 driver is GPL-2 and don't need any non-free component to compile.

if google-earth use a glibc libraries we need block a software
intallation to prevent tempation of the users?

The rules to analisis any software will be clear and non deliberative
for each case in particular.
Deliberative posicions are controversial and depend always of personal
ideas.

happy hacking!!
--
Daniel Olivera (mate.cosido, aun fuera de la ley)
Director Proyecto UTUTO (Argentina)

"Soy y seré comunista hasta el último dia de mi vida"
"La vida no vale nada si no es para perecer porque otros puedan tener,
lo que uno disfruta ya" Pablo Milanes.

Correo Electrónico  : address@hidden - address@hidden

Argentina - Teléfono: +54  11 5353-9494 Extension: 2943434
España    - Teléfono: +34 957 780744          Fax: +34 957 780645
Sistemas VoIP       : ututo01 (Skype/Ekiga)
Mensajeros          : Jabber: address@hidden
                         ICQ: 8368437
Blog                : www.ututo.org/daniel