[GNU-linux-libre] Skeleton GNU/Linux

From: Matt Lee
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Skeleton GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:18:08 -0500

So this discussion of PureOS has forced us to raise our heads a little.

We're working on a distribution based on Debian also, ours is called
Skeleton GNU/Linux. Please note, we are firmly committed to this name
and branding, even if our logo is very temporary :)

We have an early website up at https://mat.tl/skeleton/

Our plan is to take Debian main, and offer up a subset of packages
upon installation -- focusing our efforts on mostly GNU packages --
GNOME, Emacs, GIMP, etc. We'll be installing various tools for
creativity also. Our goal is clear: get the best parts of Debian
signed off by the FSF, so we can get the best distribution (in our
opinion) into the hands of users of 100% free distros.

Regarding a web browser, we intend to install Chromium for our users
rather than a Firefox-based browser.

We're starting a backlog of issues here:
https://git.gnu.io/skeleton/gnu-linux/boards