Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Skeleton GNU/Linux

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Skeleton GNU/Linux
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 00:25:18 +0100

(sorry for another off-topic post)

On 11/11/2016 12:09 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:49:35PM +0100, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

On 11/10/2016 11:26 PM, Jean Louis wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 05:09:52PM -0500, Matt Lee wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Jean Louis <address@hidden> wrote:

I am glad for that. Personally, I am avoiding it due to larger size,
and compiling taking time. I am using now Dillo, Xombrero, uzbl and
surf.

uzbl is in particular very usable.
I'm not going to ask our users to use one of those.
uzbl doesn't have an address bar to enter a URL.

We'll ship Chromium with some fixes to make it compliant, or possibly
Firefox with fixes.
But please uzbl has address bar to enter the URL. It is just not up,
it is down. I am entering URLs in uzbl address bar all the times. And
what is really nice with uzbl, you can make your own address bar in
any way you like, enter it, and pipe it to the browser (users would
not know it if you wish so).
Cool, just recently Internet Explorer stopped being the most used browser
(replaced by Google Chrome) and you're suggesting uzbl. User-friendly is not
your stronger side? I mean, yea, lets take uzbl, explain to users that bar
is down and that, they can make their own address bar in any way they like
and pipe it to browser. I see hundreds of millions moving to uzbl as we
speak.

I am really not sure are you just being sarcastic at this moment as I can't
get this seriously.
I have reviewed your website with uzbl browser. http://www.uzbl.org -
it is excellent browser, serving all my needs. Very customizable and
powerful. You have not obviously tried it and could not understand it.

I used uzbl as well as surf (heck not long time ago my environment was xmonad) but...

I am user, so it is very user friendly to me. The sources, with the
build are just 12 MB, that is also very user friendly, considering,
that Internet connection in Africa is not as good as yours. Even
compiling of Chrome or IceCat, is simply going to fail, if I am not
running on solar powered battery, as there are often power outages
here.

No, you're a developer and user. I am developer and user. My friend is user and mechanic. He and *HUGE* majority don't care about is it 12MB or 120MB, the size doesn't mean anything to them in this age. Africa - we need to fix connection and electrical supply and not put UX backwards. None of average users will compile (unless you ask them to do it or they find it curios - which has a chance he will be a developer).

Small browser with few configuration files and perfectly customizable,
with high privacy levels, seem to be very user friendly.

Most of people don't understand even what privacy means (we in Purism struggle so much to justify that) - so not really something majority would consider user-friendly.

Yes, we shall teach users how to use computing tools, software and how
to become programmers. I am not somebody who likes leaving users in a
stage of not knowing what they can do with a computer and software.

No, we should not. My friend mechanic is not forcing me to know how car works or how to fix it in order just to drive it. I don't want to be a mechanic. And he can be pissed of about it, but it will still not change my will. Do you know how to fix car and how it works - should someone teach you if you want just to drive or take a cab? What about planes? Do you know all about them? And TV? And radio? And washing machine?

With 17 years I have been giving courses in computer programming
languages such as Logo and BASIC, not far from your birth place, and
people from that computer club have advanced in life as programmers.

Cool, and keep going on, just don't force people to learn it.

Finally, average Tanzanian, working here in my company, learns Emacs
tutorial within 60 minutes, and uzbl within 5 minutes. Even if those
people don't have much access to computer otherwise.

And average person already uses Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Safari and maybe it will surprise you - they hardly even think about it, it just works for them.

Tomorrow, I will test uzbl on a new person, and I will see how fast
that person can learn to use it, and will let you know.

I wanted now to do the same test with new person but only instead of uzbl, I wanted to teach them Firefox. I was out of luck - they already knew it :-/

Cheers.