Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Inheritance?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Inheritance?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:13:21 +0200 (CEST)

address@hidden writes:
> On Wednesday, 20 September 2000, Scott Ballantyne writes:
> > In the manual, I read:
> >
> >   Properties that are set in one context are inherited by all of the
> >   contained contexts. This means that a property valid for the Voice
> >   context can be set in the Score (for example) and thus take effect
> >   in all Voice contexts.
> >
> > So I tried:
> >
> > -------
> > \score{
> >    \notes \context Voice
> >       {
> >    \property Voice.tupletBracketVisibility = ##f
> >    \property Voice.tupletNumberVisibility = ##f
>
> As the quoted text indicates, inheritance works from parent to
> child, not the other way around.  The Repeat-engraver is included
> in the staff-context, so it won't see anything in its childs,
> eg a voice.

but this is about the tuplet engraver, in voice context.

Scott,  if the explanation below doesn't help,
can you submit a complete file (including the definition of
\first)?

> > But none of the Voice context's in 'first' are affected by the
> > above. So, either I'm doing something wrong (probably) or there's a
> > bug either in lilypond or the manual.

if you have

  \context Voice <
   \property Voice.XXX = bla
   \context Voice = VA { .. }
   \context Voice = VB { .. }

then this is equivalent to

  \context Voice = DEFAULT <
   \property Voice.XXX  = bla
   \context Voice = VA { .. }
   \context Voice = VB { .. }

and XXX is modified in the DEFAULT voice context, but not in VA and
VB. If you a setting to carry into all voices you 'd better do

 \context Voice <
   \property Staff.XXX  = bla
   \context Voice = VA { .. }
   \context Voice = VB { .. }