Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Inheritance?

From: Scott Ballantyne
Subject: Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Inheritance?
Date: 21 Sep 2000 07:35:51 -0000

> The model evolved guided by our attempts to improve the implementation
> of lily. There is no design, other than trying to be `concise,
> elegant, flexible'

And you've certainly achieved that in many notable ways. I've been a
user of lilypond since the 1.2 days, I think that was the first
version I tried, and it's only gotten better since then. Please don't
misunderstand my intent. It's quite possibly only my lack of
understanding of certain things is the difficulty, but I have certain
probably half baked impressions, questions or whatevers floating
around my head. It seems there are multiple assignment operators,
which strikes me as a bad idea. It looks like lexical scoping rather
than dynamic binding is the order of the day in lilypond, and I wonder
if over all, from the user perspective, if it wouldn't be better ---
simpler if a different binding method were used. Perhaps message
passing would improve the situation. Perhaps it's fine the way it is.
These are just some of the half baked ideas and impressions I have as
I try to get lilypond to do what I want, and you have all been very
generous and gentle with me in my struggles.

I've done a lot of programming on some big and complicated projects,
and I know very well how it feels to have some unappreciative and
ignorant end user toss (usually impractical) suggestions at you. I'm
certainly ignorant, but I hope I don't come across as
unappreciative. And I will do my level best to understand things, and
why there were done that way, before I make any suggestions.

I am using lilypond, now, to do real world projects which I am using
in my own professional life as a musician, so it's certainly well on
its way to being a world class piece of software. On the other hand,
since these are real world projects, perhaps some of my experiences
might serve to improve it. At least, I would hope so --- it would be
the least I could do to thank you for it.

Sincerely,
sdb
--
address@hidden