Re: Newbie questions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Newbie questions
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:08:43 +0200

> > 3) Does it allow for parts to be labeled with letters, preferably in
> > boxes?
>
> Jan> You'd have to do that in a latex document and embed the scores.
>
> No, he's talking about rehearsal letters, which I would think have to
> be part of the score.  I need this, too, and was assuming that when I
> got around to trying it, this section of the manual was the relevant
> one:
>
>     manual> In addition, it is possible to place arbitrary strings of
>     manual> text or TeX above or below notes by using a string instead
>     manual> of an identifier: `c^"text"'. Fingerings can be placed by
>     manual> simply using digits. All of these note ornaments appear in
>     manual> the printed output but have no effect on the MIDI
>     manual> rendering of the music.

No, rehearsal marks are easiest typeset using the \mark command,
which will typeset an arbitrary text over the next bar line.
There's also support for automatic numbering (or you could get
A B C ... if you wish), see the manual.
However, the boxes are not directly supported so you'd have to
enter, e.g., \mark "\\fbox{A}".
How about implementing a property to specify a command to be
applied to all marks?

    /Mats