Re: Win32 compiling

From: janneke
Subject: Re: Win32 compiling
Date: 24 Oct 2000 16:08:47 +0200

"Shamus" <address@hidden> writes:

> I know that there are people who have successfully compiled lily on a
> windows box (95, 98, NT, whatever) but it seems they don't want to divulge
> how they do it.  I'm pretty sure that Jan cross-compiles on his Linux box
> which is completely different

It is not.  The difference is that you can install the binary
development packages, while I have to configure them for x-development
and compile them myself.  I'm using the very same sources from cygnus.

I've made a set of scripts that automagically set-up this whole
environment, and compiles kpathsea, guile and lilypond as well.
You may want to have a look at that.

   http://appel.lilypond.org/lilypond/gnu-windows/cross.tar.gz

> from compiling in that hateful cygnus
> environment...

Cygnus is a magnificent hack, it always worked for me.  If you can't
get it to work, you should try development in Linux first.

> The only other person who I know for sure has been
> successful in compiling lily on a windows box is Jeff Reed, and he hasn't
> responded to any emails that I've sent him.

Maybe you ask the wrong questions.

> Side note to Jan:  Does lily require any new environmental variables in
> order to find its .tfm files?  It seems that 1.3.88 was the last version to
> respond the environmental variables that I set up for it (i.e., lily insists
> on making .tfm files for the feta fonts which she presumably knows
> about!)...

Have a look at
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnu-music-discuss/2000-October/000485.html