Re: Spacing in lily 1.3.118

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: Spacing in lily 1.3.118
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:21:43 +0000

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 08:03:49AM -0500, Laura Conrad wrote:
> I'd like that, too.  I have seen TeX error messages that included the
> potential hyphenation points in a line, so I'm sure it's possible to
> get.  I think the suggestion (Werner's?) of asking on comp.text.tex
> was probably a good one.

I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that this isn't going to work,
mostly because hyphenation points aren't necessarily syllabic
points. Or rather they are, but I seem to remember that the former are
a subset of the latter.

[ This is because typographically having just the last syllable of a
  word on the following line is bad; so "criteria" has the possible
  hyphenation points cri-te-ria and not cri-te-ri-a; also TeX tends to
  give up on, erm, words with hyphens in them already, such as
  "double-barrelled". I think ]

Christophe
--
Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL                           +44 1223 524 842
(FORMAT T "(address@hidden ~}~3:*'address@hidden ~})" 'FORMAT T