Re: Couple lily questions...

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Couple lily questions...
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:50:33 +0100

> I'm running 1.3.124 and I was wondering if someone could help me with
> the following questions:
>
> 1. Sometimes when I typset some music, the first note is too close
>    (almost touching) to the time signature.  What's a simple way to
>    add some space at that point?  This seems to happen only on lines
>    with a lot of music, so I can get around this by adding a \break to
>    split the line in half, but I was wondering if there was a better
>    way.

You could try to play around with the spacing constants in
scm/basic-properties.scm

> 2. I'm using things like:
>
>      restShiftUp = \property Voice.Rest \override #'staff-position = #4
>
>    to play with rest location.  It works fine, but lily gives me the
>    following warning:
>
>      warning: Can't find property type-check for `staff-position'.
>      Perhaps you made a typing error?
>
>    Should I worry?

It seems that staff-position is missing in
scm/grob-property-description.scm; a bug!

> 3. How do I escape curly braces ("{", "}") when passing strings to
>    TeX?  For example, I'd like to do something like:
>
>      piece = "This {\sl is} a test.";

Try piece = "This \{\\sl is\} a test."; (also the backslash
needs an escape).

> 4. Finally, I'm having trouble using \mark when, and only when, I
>    \include "paper23.ly" or \include "paper26.ly".  In other words,
>    \mark works fine if I use other paper sizes.  With those, I get
>    errors like:
>
>      paper output to 24012001.tex...warning: can't find font: `cmr14'
>      warning: Loading default font
>      Backtrace:
>      0* [Axis_group_interface::group_extent_callback #<Grob LineOfScore >
>      1]
>      1* [Side_position::aligned_side #<Grob RehearsalMark > 1]
>      2* [Grob::molecule_extent #<Grob RehearsalMark > 1]
>      3* [Text_item::brew_molecule #<Grob RehearsalMark >]
>      4* cmr-alist
>
>      ERROR: In expression cmr-alist:
>      ERROR: Unbound variable: cmr-alist
>      ly2dvi: LilyPond failed: lilypond  24012001 2>&1

Hmm, Lilypond asks for cmr of sizes 4,5,6,7,8,10,12,14,16 and 20
whereas a typical teTeX installation includes 5,6,7,8,9,10,12,17.
Either we could change Lilypond to use only these sizes or
we have to start fiddling with magnifications again.
As a quick hack to implement the former option, you could apply
the attached patch. The result will probably look a bit odd.

     /Mats