Re: To all you SuSErs out there: Compiling 1.3.140 on SuSE 7.1 (Kernel 2

From: Joerg Anders
Subject: Re: To all you SuSErs out there: Compiling 1.3.140 on SuSE 7.1 (Kernel 2.4, X 4.0, KDE 2.0.1, that is)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:52:35 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Amelie Zapf wrote:

> since I've upgraded my system from SuSE 6.4 to 7.1, I have trouble compiling
> the Lilypond sources.
>
> I always get messages like "could not enter directory out/dummy.dep" and "make
> [all]: Error 2".
>
> Does anybody have an idea or have the list of packages that I actually need to
> compile Lily 1.3.140???

First of all: I compiled 1.3.140 on SuSE 7.1. But I needed a whole
day to comprehend the technique. And I got this message, too in a
certain situation. But I can't remember the exact status.

I perceived the messages can be due to totally different
problems. For instance: If you forgot to install the kpathsea header package
there is only a small warning during configure. The error occurs
10 minutes later and is of "can't find ...", or "checksum error"
(or so).

I recommend to de-install all TeX packages. An then re-install
tetex, te_mpost, te_kpath (likewise te_latex).

On SuSE-7.1 I perceived they forget a "texconfig -->rebuild ls-R database"
in some (?) situations. I recommend to do this " by hand " after
re-installation.

As a last hint: There is (was?) a problem in LilyPond-Makefile which
causes:

make[1]: Entering directory `/fs4/home/ja/LILY/lilypond-1.3.140/mutopia'
../mutopia/mutopia.make:23: *** can't find LilyPond's stepmake installation.
Stop.

Ignore this and copy

        ps
        scm

and possibly other directories "by hand" to the destination directory.

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (address@hidden)