NIFF->Lilypond converter

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: NIFF->Lilypond converter
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:44:13 +0200

Hi folks,

I am considering writing a filter for NIFF to Lilypond.
Some stuff is a bit hairy. NIFF does not really know
about multiple voices on one staff, for instance.

I plan to implement as much of NIFF (or less, when I seem
to not need it) as is exported by SharpEye, an Optical
Music Reader that can generate NIFF. SharpEye comes with an
editor to correct the glaring reading mistakes, but that
editor has its limitations. It knows about triplets but
not about other multiplets, for instance. SharpEye comes
in two versions, both free trial for 30 days, but the
cheap one does not seem to time-out. Of course SharpEye
is win32 soft, but I have seen no Unix OMR programs anywhere.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

Rutger Hofman
Amsterdam