Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Soeren D. Schulze
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:24:35 +0200

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    Well, I think we should therefore redefine the purpose of /usr:
>
> The GNU system won't have /usr at all.  It _might_ be a symlink to .
> for sometime, but don't depend on it.

You can call it however you want, but my idea was to call it /usr
because the content of /usr is usually what the package manager
controls.
Everybody and everything should use the symlinks to / instead, not to
depend on /usr, right.

If we once redecide to place everything in / or elsewhere, we create
the symlink /usr for programs that use it.  I do not understand why we
would depend on it.

Soeren Schulze