Re: Anything to do?

From: Luis F. Araujo
Subject: Re: Anything to do?
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:25:09 -0400

Andrew Resch wrote:

Hi Luis!

Any help, I am sure, is greatly appreciated.

A few things that I can think of right now that need to be worked on
are:

Installer for GNU - probably off a Live CD? I was thinking a live system
on a cd that we could maybe just cp over to a hard drive?  The
components for a proper Live CD probably still need some work.

Yes, that's what ive thought for the installer also.
Searching through the mailing ist archives, i found (looks like the
first email) a good description about what would be an ideal installer:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2004-04/msg00000.html

Now.. i wonder.. Is Wolfgang working on this?

Packager Manager - we need to figure out what a GNU package will look
like.. I believe Alfred probably has some sort of idea about that as it
ties into the GSC I believe.  Maybe we could use apt to install the
packages?

No apt.
According to some emails in the archive, the idea is to use stow until
stowfs is written. But that's the package manager, what about the package builder?

GNU System Creator - still needs to be finished? I actually have no
clue.. Last time I tried it out, it seemed to work quite well for
building the few packages I tried.  Maybe Alfred can give us an update?

I guess at this point we need to have some more discussion on what
things need to be done and how we want them to be done.

I hope so.

I also found a 'roadmap' in the archives:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2004-04/msg00003.html

as package manager?

I also don't like dpkg/rpm, and might sound crazy for some of you,
but i actually would like more portage than apt.

NOTE: portage handles both binary and source packages.