Re: Anything to do?

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: Anything to do?
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:41:17 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden>
To: "Barry deFreese" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 9:16 AM

  This brought up another question in my mind.  Is the intention to
  have a "GNU repository" for packages?

For binary packages, once things settle down and start working, we
could host them on ftp.gnu.org.

  I know ideally it would just be the upstream package but how would
  you handle Hurd specific patches that the upstream author may or
  may not make?

For now this is all handled in a GNU arch archive where I keep changes
that are either Hurd specific, or build specific.  All changes get
sent upstream.

  Make the user patch the source themselves?

No, this is handled by the GNU system creator.  _ALL_ build related
issues are handled by the GSC.

Alfred and Richard,

Maybe I am not stating my question properly. Am I to understand Alfred that you would host GNU System specific packages for Xorg, or GNOME, or KDE, for example, on ftp.gnu.org? I can't image that you and/or the FSF would go for that? Or are you specifically talking about just the GNU internals that make up the "system". For that matter, what exactly is "the GNU System"? Is it all encompassing compared to say a Debian or a Red Hat?

I am not trying to be difficult here, I am just on the fence. I was seriously considering an Ubuntu derived distro for GNU/Hurd because I have some concerns about the longevity of Debian GNU/Hurd. However if there is greater support among the community for support the GNU System I may back down. My only concern/question is if the FSF/GNU has the wherewithal and/or resources to get the functionality of a standard distro in any timely manner or are we looking at another 10-15 year implementation?

And this is NOT an invitation to a flamewar. I think most of you on this list know my involvement in GNU/Hurd and I want to see the system thrive but I really think we need some common goals. However, at the same time, I know that I am coming from a different angle than many of the "true blue GNU" folks. :-)

Thanks,

Barry deFreese (aka bddebian)