Re: info-dir translator

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: info-dir translator
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:40:57 -0400

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <address@hidden> wrote:
>    What's the benefit and how much do we gain?
>
> What we gain is that we don't have to do anything.  No need to run
> install-info to update /share/info/dir, it just happens.

But install-info would still have to be run when installing on any
non-Hurd system, right?  So a Makefile (or equivalent) that avoids
install-info just on the Hurd actually has to do *more* work to detect
whether to run install-info.  And if the Makefile never runs
install-info, it won't work on any non-Hurd system.

It's good that the Hurd makes this extra power available, but I'm not
sure using it in this way is a good idea.  Introducing
incompatibilities in the facilities everyone already uses makes more
work for everyone.

paul