Re: info-dir translator

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: info-dir translator
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:18:30 -0400

    The case I'm thinking of is installation from source, without using a
    package manager, on GNU/Hurd.  In that case, the user would run "make
    install", and if the work of things like install-info is already being
    done by translators, then I only hope that those commands won't give
    any errors.

The work of install-info would be done by translators when a package
gets installed through the /packages mechanism.

When you run `make install', that's a different case.  There are two
ways we could handle that case.

1. Handle it the same way we do on GNU/Linux.

2. You have to run `make install' in a special environment which
actually constructs a binary in a directory under /packages.
Otherwise it gives you errors saying that you can't write those
directories.