Re: GNU and Lisp

From: Luis F. Araujo
Subject: Re: GNU and Lisp
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:04:15 -0400

But what lisp implementation should we use?

There are two lisp implementations on the GNU project:

 a) Emacs (Emacs Lisp)
 b) Guile (Scheme)

Of the two, Emacs is clearly not convenient for be used as a general
purpose interpreter.
Guile, on the other hand, offer a pretty nice scheme implementation,
is extremely extensible and provides many advanced facilities.

So the best option would be to use Guile, i think.

I also think Guile is the right tool for this kind of work,
though there are several Lisp implementations on GNU,
Guile is the GNU extension language, offering pretty much what
we need for this task.

What do you think about this project? Any idea?

I think that using Lisp _wehever_ we can would be great.

This will make easier (in my opinion) to write applications taking
advantage of the Hurd, and in a language other than C
(which is more suitable for scripts also), fully
complaining with the GNU manifesto at the same time.

None idea so far, i guess i will have to wait until you post some code :-)

Cheers,