Re: RFC - GNU System Distribution

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: RFC - GNU System Distribution
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:45:40 -0400

    > In general, it's wrong to tell people where to get non-free software
    > if they actually want to get it and use it.

    I disagree.  That, to me is prohibition.  It is wrong to deny
    people choice, and the chance to make up their own mind.

    By hiding things from them, you deny them freedom of choice.

No, I am denying them my help in doing something unethical.  People
are not entitled to such help from me; I have no obligation to give
someone help in doing something that I consider unethical.

The basic goal of the free software movement is a world without
non-free software.  Non-free software is unethical and should not
exist.  Therefore, we should not encourage its use.

It is a fact that people have plenty of opportunities to find and use
non-free software.  We can't stop them from doing so.  However, every
time we refuse to help people do so, we show them that we are serious
about the issue, and that is very important.  So it is the GNU
Project's firm policy not to provide information about non-free
software that is likely to encourage use of the same.  In fact, when a
non-free program is not well-known, our policy is not to even mention
its existence.

(See the GNU Coding Standards.)