Re: testing people needed

From: Sergio Lopez
Subject: Re: testing people needed
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:29:56 +0200

El vie, 28-10-2005 a las 14:22 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt escribió:
> So I'm back on track, this isn't a snapshot, or well, it is... But it
> is a snapshot of a snapshot.  It doesn't use unionfs/stowfs yet, but
> that isn't a reason not to test it, what needs to be tested is the
> whole `boot process', which is irrelevant to unionfs/stowfs at this
> point.  So when all major/minor bugs have been weeded out, it will
> just be a matter to plugin in unionfs/stowfs and making a new
> snap-snapshot.  And do some testing of unionfs/stowfs. ;-)
>
> So here is what you need to do, this assume that you have a proper
> menu.list by the way.
>
> 0) Download
>    http://www.update.uu.se/~ams/home/slask/GNU-test-2005-10-28.tar.gz
>    (it is 45mb compressed, 150mb uncompressed)
> 1) cd /empty-partition
> 2) tar -xzvf /dir/to/GNU-test...
> 3) Frob your menu.list, the kernel is called /boot/gnumach (instead of
>    the debianesis gnumach.gz)
> 4) Boot.
> 5) Report errors here or directly to me.
> 6) Have fun!
>
> I'd like to see two tests, nameley: first boot, and consecutive boots.
> On the first boot, core translators will be setup and then dmd will
> start, and you shold get a login prompt.  On a consecutive boot, it
> will just pop directly to dmd and then to a login prompt.
>
> So run along now children, and start breaking things damn it! :-)

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the GNU Mach of your tarball, it stalls with
"panic: free_irq: bad irq number" just after the floppy disk detection.
I've tried it on a P3 1000 Mhz laptop, on a AMD 700 Mhz tower and on
qemu with the same result in all cases (no IRQ sharing problem).

How did you compile it (configure options and gcc version) and from
where did you get the sources (ams-branch?) ? I would like to take a
look at this problem.

Thanks.
Regards,
--