Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 08:42:36 +0200

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Daniel Martin <address@hidden> wrote:
> That's the sort of thing _I_ imagine. (I'm not sure they need to be
> combined in one download as rms mentioned.) I'd like to be able to
> _easily_ install source code in a predictable location, modify the code,
> recompile and install the new package.
>
> (This is probably possible to some extent on existing GNU/Linux distros,
> but I don't think it is easy and certainly not an intended and expected
> use of the package management system.)

I agree, I also agree about the source not having to be part of the
same package.

During system installation I would at least give the option to install
source for all binary packages included in the first system install.
I know not everybody has the gigabytes to spare, but I would choose
that option on some setups, to be able to quickly change my system
regardless of network connectivity.

> However, rms was enquiring about Jason Self's post not mine. ;-)

Hmm I messed up somehow..?

Ciao,

Claudio