Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Aurélien
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 17:09:15 +0200

Alex Lardner <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>>    Now that Linux-libre has been dubbed an official GNU package it
>>    seems to me that the GNU Operating System now has a fully
>>    functional kernel. Perhaps this means that there could now be an
>>    official release of the GNU Operating System?
>>
>> Indeed, there could be.  But we still face the question of what it
>> would consist of, and how to develop and maintain it.  Either we would
>> endorse some existing free distro that uses Linux-libre, or make
>> another.  Both options have problems, previously discussed.
>
> I am very uneducated in these matters, but if a "new" GNU OS were to
> be released, I'd love to see a newly created distro. It just feels
> right.
>
> My two cents.
> -Alex

Hi freetarders! (the words following ... are just a dunno point of view,
a point of view from free speach and not free troll)

The world of free distro is growing days after days ...

Working today on Parabola Project, i remember the true words of RMS
responding me why GNU should endorse Parabola as one more free distro,
and me responding because Parabola is the free side of Arch Branch, and
because it's K.I.S.S. principle base will bring good Hackers to GNU.

Now that Parabola fly from some years, yes it works, yes it have bring
some good and cool hackers.

But the doctor was right (as most of time) on one point if it have bring
some good people from the Open Source side to the Free Software side, it
have also get some from other free distro project.

So when RMS says "What it would consist of?" and "How to developp and
maintain it?" theses two questions seems essentials.

Trying to follow the idea of a new one ... why not ...

A new one ok, but a new branch ... not something from
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Gldt.svg but really
something new ... or something based on the oldest and dead one to make
it's "GNU phoenix" (commercials are another statement of succes :p)
(that was my dunno point of view to respond of the what)

Now to respond of the How to dev and maintain it, there is maybe a way,
my voice is just one point in the #parabola, so as i say, it's just a
"very personnal" point of view :: In fact there is a solution, a bit
strong but maybe which can be the response of the situation.

RMS should launch this distro has the leader of it, with a sort of
worldwide contest, that in one year and one day will give the head to
another one ...

Does that mean to let die other projects? ... That brake my hart to says
that, but yes.

We will be stronger all in one.

Now the distro can present different aspects, which can be sort of
branch inside of the project itself.

 . computers
 . servers
 . laptops