Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Christophe Poncy
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 08:34:23 +0200

Does Arch have no distribution of compiled packages at all?

Just for your information, Daniel aims to make it easy to fork his tree and support free software. He built a "human" GNU/Linux distro that is IMHO the best suited for GNU ;)

--
Forkable - Empowering Developers (source : Funtoo)

Combine the transition to git with Metro, and Funtoo is now actually quite easy to fork, unlike Gentoo. If you wanted to create your own derivative of Funtoo or Gentoo, you could simply clone my git repository and then set up Metro to build releases of this variant. With some basic familiarity with git, this can all be accomplished by an single individual in a single day.

Why is this important? If you love Gentoo like I do, but want to work on Gentoo independently, so that you have your own personal "fun, too" project where you are Chief Architect, you have all the tools you need to make this happen. There is no longer a need to become an official Gentoo developer in order to grow in your Gentoo knowledge.