Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 02:03:22 -0400

   > The first command also requires root access, something you might not
   > have.

   If you are going to install in system wide directories, you will
   need root access, even if it is source based.

On GNU you shouldn't need such access.  Even GNU/Linux is capable of
similar features using Nix.  The whole concept of requiring root
access to install anything has always been a silly idea in unixoid
systems.

   > Installing the binary package will also requrie root access, not
   > or provide any roll back mechanism.
   >
   > My point, it is not as easy as some people think.

   It would still be easier to change defaults of apt than writing
   another package manager from scratch because apt default
   configuration is not exactly what we are looking at.

Maybe, I don't know, it is a decision left to be decided.