Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 18:20:16 -0400

    First of all, there's the question of why to create a new distribution.
    I think the concerns about providing a binary-based, easy-to-install
    distro are unfounded. We already have, for example, Trisquel that covers
    that niche. Parabola offers another option, with the ability to both
    install binary packages via pacman and install from source via abs (the
    Arch Build System).

If we're going to release a system called GNU, it shouldn't be
aimed only at hackers.  It should be for everyone, so we can
say to everyone, "Please use the GNU system".

Working on a distro specifically for hackers can be a useful activity,
especially if it enables making free software do that better.  But
the goal of our 28 years of work is broader than that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation