Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Christophe Poncy
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:46:10 +0200

We want the source and binary to be closely associated,
but whether they form one downloadable package or two
seems like an implementation detail.  Since many people
would rather get only the binary, I think it is more convenient
if they are two downloadable packages rather than one.

[...]

To require everyone installing the system build it from source
would be inconvenient, and I see no benefit from it.

For packages, we separate building from installation.
We should do this for the whole system as well.
It would be good to be able to built binaries for the entire system
with `./configure; make', but installation would be a separate step.

With a source-based distribution, each software is tied in one single package, I mean the source, that you can customize according to your needs with the USE flags (I am thinking about portage, a package management system) This approach seems more elegant and more powerful to me than binary distributions in which you have to deal with several package for the same software (emacs witout X, Emacs with X, Emacs with gtk+ for exemple)

--
Support free software! Join FSF:
https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom?referrer=4574