Re: Update on distro bootstrapping with Guix

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: Update on distro bootstrapping with Guix
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:54:37 -0300

On Oct 16, 2012, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Looking at
>> <http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/3.3.5-gnu/>, I
>> can see signatures for various tarballs, but not the tarballs
>> themselves.  Am I missing something?

> I agree -- the reason for my initial comment was that I assumed Linux
> Libre sources were available on ftp.gnu.org.

> Alexandre, any particular reason older releases (like 3.3.5) aren't
> available?

Disk space.  Whenever we (nearly) run out of it on the Linux-libre
server, I clean up older and no-longer-recommended releases.  I retain
the patches from major releases, as well as binary deltas from
corresponding upstream releases, so anyone can still reconstruct the
exact bits that were removed.

> Also, would it be possible to have them on ftp.gnu.org as well?

Sure, as soon as some convenient way to upload to ftp.gnu.org is
available.  The current upload procedure to ftp.gnu.org just doesn't fit
the size, frequency and automation we depend on, and they won't rsync
from our server in spite of all the signatures, so we're kind of stuck
in a deadlock :-(