Re: x15

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: x15
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:43:34 -0500

  > "There is no free software for this, and it would require reverse
  > engineering"

  > In USA, yes.

  > In France, no, it does not require reverse engeniring but the respect of
  > the law L. 331-5

We are miscommunicating.  You are citing the point that reverse
engineering is lawful in the EU, in general.  That is true.  It may be
lawful to reverse engineer the modem chip firmware.

I say "may" because there are special laws about portable phones.

However, reverse engineering is NOT ENOUGH for the modem chip
software.  Modern modem chips require the software to carry the
manufacturer's signature.  Even if we had free software for the modem
chip, we could not get it to run.

I think I will stick with a device with no modem chip.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation