Interoperability (was: x15)

From: Olaf Buddenhagen
Subject: Interoperability (was: x15)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:28:31 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 02:45:46AM +0100, Aurélien DESBRIÈRES wrote:
> Kete <address@hidden> writes:

> > First, I want to repeat what RMS said about the modem that makes the
> > actual telephone calls. There is no free software for this, and it
> > would require reverse engineering.

> In France, no, it does not require reverse engeniring but the respect
> of the law L. 331-5
[...]
> "interopérabilité" the fact that it can run on every things.

Interoperbility means you can connect different devices, possibly from
different manufacturers. It doesn't apply to individual components used
as parts of a device.

Interoperbility laws do require the necessary information about GSM
protocols to be open, so you could in theory build your own modem
hardware and firmware. Good luck with that. (And good luck with getting
the required certification to actually run it on a public network...)

-antrik-