Re: [gnugo-devel] assignment with gnu-go

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] assignment with gnu-go
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:54:56 -0800

> I have an assignment in my A.I. course where I have
> the opportunity to go work on whatever I want. I was
> wondering if there is any little projects relating to
> AI that I could help out with in Gnu-go. I'm familiar
> with go at little more than beginner level.

How well do you play against GNU Go?

I'm sure you can help us, or at least do something
interesting for your class.

If you end up submitting code to the engine, can you
assign copyright to the FSF?

> support for ko in owl.c and optics.c

This is technical and possibly not the best thing to
start with.

> global alpha-beta tree

This seems to me to be a good area, rather disjoint
from most of the effort in the engine. For you, it has
the advantage of some AI flavor.

I'm currently working on semilocal search in the oracle
patches. There is plenty of room for experiments and
alternative schemes. To make use of the setup I'm using
you would need a machine running Unix or GNU/Linux
since it requires two GNU Go processes communicating by
pipes.

Other people might have other suggestions.

> How long does it normally take people to get familiar
> with the code and start working in previous
> experience?

Depends on the individual. When is your project due?

Read the mailing list and try to follow the
discussions.

Daniel Bump