Re: [Association] GNU Herds -- Content Management Systems (CMS)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Association] GNU Herds -- Content Management Systems (CMS)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:21:04 +0000

GNU Herds work team <address@hidden> wrote:
> Flames, feedback, etc. are not only welcome but needed!.
>
> Regards,
> The work team

Please stop posting anonymously.  Use gpg --clearsign if you want to
sign something as an official association communication.

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think you are right at this point. We could use the current webapp
> architecture and design to modify it. Just to be sure, could you point me to
> an example which you think is the "usual process"?. Maybe as http://fsfe.org/
> or as http://savannah.nongnu.org/ or as http://demo.mamboserver.com/ ...

IIRC, only savannah (savane?) of those implements anything like an
accessible login process (warning that cookie support is required
before it becomes a problem, no eyetests, and so on).  fsfe.org
(eZpublish) may get there soon.  I don't watch mambo closely just now.

[...]
> Note such form is already using a lot of JavaScript. AJAX give you a lot of
> power to develop complex forms or web-pages, which are more like stand-alone
> applications.

AJAX often introduces more problems for non-scripting browsers.
Please don't require Javascript.  GNU Herds should be an accessible
service, not only for users of GNU Iceweasel and a few other browsers.

At least, it should be possible for GNU Emacs-w3 users to participate!

[not sure who wrote this:]
> >       The Ethics Officer will be appointed by the Free Software
> >       Foundation, Inc. to ensure the below points, having veto
> >       power over all subject related to such points:
> >
> >      * the integrity of the GNU name is not breached
> >      * the Association follows the Free Software philosophy and
> >
> > Those changes would solve the problem from the FSF's point of view.

Doesn't that mean GNU Herds is not a true-democratic association any
more, if there is a benevolent dictator called the Ethics Officer?

Would it be better to have GNU appoint an accreditation officer and if
the accreditation officer is not happy, then 'GNU Herds' loses its
name (at least the GNU part), and maybe other penalties (split any
funds, whatever)?  Hopefully then GNU get some control, but the
association can still be autonomous.  Autonomy is a cooperative
principle.

Hope that's useful feedback,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble.