Re: Use CVS or anyother SCM?. git?

From: Klaus Weiss
Subject: Re: Use CVS or anyother SCM?. git?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:18:50 +0200

> > I'm not active yet, but I also like git.  I've untangled some bad
> > mistakes in it already.
> >
> > Also, note that git has a cvspserver to allow most CVS-using tools
> > access (Emacs out of the box has a CVS-using menu!  but there's
> > probably a proper git-mode by now).
>
> At the git-core package I see:
>
>   /usr/share/doc/git-core/contrib/emacs/git.el
>   /usr/share/doc/git-core/contrib/emacs/vc-git.el
>

> > I think it's SVN's centralised
> > model which is obsolete now - and I don't think SVN is compatible with
> > anything else yet, is it?
>
> I agree with you MJ!.  CVS and SVN's centralized model is obsolete. We could
> try to use git to this new architecture design.  Now I understand because
> Klaus did not sent us a cvs diff patch. It is totally different. Opening a
> branch on CVS dos not have too much sense?. It will be almost all new code.

Exactly! Well, this isn't really a `bug` in cvs - diff was simply never
build to `fix` this issue, it is just diff :).

Maybe git has developed a better solution, I don't know.

> Klaus could follow improving his proposal via tar-ball. When it be ready we
> could try to setup a new 'official' git repository at Savannah.  What do you
> think?

IMO it is the best way how we can do that. From time to time I will send
you my current work so everybody can give suggestions and can help if
they want.

Anyway I would also propose to use git as our next repository.