Re: Home.php reviewed + brainstorm

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Home.php reviewed + brainstorm
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:55:11 +0200

Victor Engmark wrote:
> The front page is now pretty useful for new developers and maybe even beta
> users, but I think it needs to change a lot to accommodate regular users
> before the beta period is over. Here's a little brainstorming on what we
> could show on the front page (including the current items for
> completeness):
>
>    - Registration form. Very important for new users, and probably the
>    single most important feature in order to get new users (the alternative
> is to put it on a different page). We should review the placement and text
> carefully to make sure it's eye-catching and very easy to use. Maybe it
> could be just a huge link named "Register", with the target page asking
> whether you're a person, company, etc.

We could try too it, to check how it looks when we use an specific page for
registering.  Anyway, I think we must take a look too to the final result of
the redesign you have done to the login-box.

>    - Login form. Very important for regular users. Should be very easy to
>    recognize, and should use approved field names recognized by auto-fill
>    software).

Very cool!.  I have looked at the list of defined elements. Our site will be
use: user, password and currency?.

  Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6769

>    - Menu with everything that can be done without logging in. Should be
>    useful for both new and recurring users. The colors are kind of bland
> now, so it's hard to see what's a link and what's a heading.

It was the graphic design. You know :)  We can try others colors to check how
it looks.

  Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6770

  Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6771

> - "Job offers" feed (in <head>). Very little extra markup, but useful for
> anyone who doesn't want to use the site more than absolutely necessary.

I do not understand, any way, I add a task because it looks interesting.
  Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6772

> - A <div> with new job offers could be useful for new users to gauge how
> much traffic  we're getting, and for casual users who don't want to use RSS
> or email.

Well, such users can take a quick look at the JobOffers list, sorted by date.
Isn't it?.

>    - Contact information could be useful, but we might want to use a form
>    to avoid spam. Dunno which is most effective.

The View_Job_Offer pages are public, but they do not show contact information.
Anyway, I think we must check it.

The View_Qualifications pages are no public, only the JobOffer owner to which
such qualifications are subscribed can access it. It is by design of the
webapp, and checked by the Access Control Lists.

>    - Language switching.

We have language switching now at the heading. Do you mean something
different?.

>    - Logo + title linking to the front page.

Instead of the herds photo?. Good, very good point!.

One comment: If we add a link to the title, it will change its color. Maybe
that will not be good for the look&feel.  Therefore, is the link at the title
actually convenient?.

> Things I think we should not include on the front page:
>
>    - Footnotes / project state. We might have to include the notice about
>    not being a GNU project until that changes, but the rest should probably
>    go on a news page.

News page?. That is new for me :)

>    - A <div> with site news. On a service site like this, most users
>    won't care a bit whether we've changed languages, moved servers, or
>    got a new developer. It could be served as a feed or a secondary
>    page, however.

So, you propose to add a news page?.

Davi