Re: XHTML vs HTML, etc.

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: XHTML vs HTML, etc.
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:36:28 +0200

Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > I like that idea: two user interfaces: output HTML and RSS.  However,
> > about XHTML, does it conflict with the mobile devices support goal?.
> > Could we get all this fitting together?. Again, the same questions?. :)
>
> The IBM developerworks article
> <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-css/>

I think the above article is obsolete. Again we can read
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-03/msg00040.html

> I sent earlier advocates XHTML for mobile devices. W3C uses XHTML
> 1.1 for their Default Delivery Context
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/#ddc>in their Mobile Web Best
> Practices document.

Theory vs practice.

> Google <http://www.google.com/search?q=wireless+xhtml+html> seems to agree.

Using XHTML will lead to a number of desktop and mobile browsers being unable
to access the content.

Unless you have some specific need which only 1.1 can fulfill, "HTML 4.01
Strict" is the best bet today for universal support.

> > From my experience, if we allow the employer expose her/his email,
>
> [snipped a lot]
>
> the GNU Herds contact information. That's what I think
> should be public, and it's for that I'm wondering whether we should just
> show the email address (a bit more hassle to use a separate program for
> email) or use a form (more implementation for us, but can perhaps be better
> protected against spam).

The GNU Herds contact information is already public:

    * association is the project main list.
    * gnuherds-app-dev to carry on the web application development.

I think there is not need to publish the personal information of the people at
the work team. Anyway, there are several which are not working any more.
Besides, I think the point of contact must be always the email lists, to
avoid losing conversation (out of list).

> > How to manage all this work, I propose follow the below steps:
> >   1. Convert the webapp to <div>s + CSS, as we have already begun to do,
> >      realizing too small modifications, as the hackers index grouping,
> >      etc. but avoiding huge redesign.
> >
> >   2. Check that it is HTML 4.01 Strict,
> >      and move it to production.
> >
> >   3. Realize the needed translations.
>
> Shouldn't this be done after the redesign? After all, a lot of text will
> presumably be changed.

Maybe you are right!. I will see ...