Re: Fwd: I want more <div>s to work on :)

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Fwd: I want more <div>s to work on :)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:21:13 +0200 (CEST)

Victor Engmark wrote:
> Davi Leal wrote:
> > I think this one ""XXX Update this image" should be a Savannah task
[...]

> There were others; it's just that they take up unnecessary space in the
> HTML.

I propose that when it is at the HTML we remove it and add a Savannah
task. When it is at the PHP, of course we must leave it at the code, and
to remember it, we can create a Savannah task which talk about the XXX
tags in the PHP code.

> > I will check it. If it has the same information, I think we will not have
> > to change the translations of that english sentences again. :)
>
> It's the same information, but in some cases very different text. Shorter
> though, so the overhead should pay back via smaller markup and less
> translation for other languages.

I will take a look.

> By the way, isn't it a good idea to wait
> with the translation until the site text is stable, to avoid inertia in
> changing when that's needed?

Good point!. If it is needed, we can stop updating the production
environment. We can work on our development environments.

Anyway, I think we should try to translate the new strings which are
already at production as "Change language"?.

> By the way, it turns out I used the wrong character for apostrophe :( Could
> you replace all instances of "`" with "'" (just copy it from this text - It
> should be the right character)? Thanks!

I will do it.

> >    - Maybe we should split the page into several? I'd suggest the
> > >      following structure:
> > >      - Introduction
> > >      - Installation and configuration
> > >      - Help / other
> >
> > I disagree. The page is large, but with "Back to top" it will be OK, as
> > the current one.
>
> It's not so much about just the size, more about grouping information
> according to usage. But it's not a big deal; on an end-user page this would
> be a lot more serious <http://blog.clicktale.com/?p=19>.

So, you are talking about grouping the current index with some
sections?.  I think that at least we should take a look to that proposal!.
So, please send another version of the hacker's guide applying such idea,
before I begin to convert it to <div>.

I think that the FAQ page will not need such grouping due to it is not so
large. Isn't it?.

> > Note:  About the UTF-8 section, I think we must just advice to install
> > and use UTF-8 as de default encoding in the system.  So the developers get
> > less troubles.
>
> I agree - Developers should be able to configure this (maybe we could
> include a link to a tutorial or something), and specific instructions won't
> work on all platforms.

Well, we can say something like: "install UFT-8 as default in your
system", and they will ask or read any documentation proper for their
operating system.

Davi