Re: GNU Herds name change?

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: GNU Herds name change?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:49:17 +0200

Victor Engmark wrote:
> After thinking a bit more about the problem with having a name which is
> very close to GNU Hurd (especially when pronounced), and discussing it with
> Antenore, I'm proposing a name change. I believe now is the right time -
> We're still in beta, and not yet an official GNU project, so there should
> be minimal impact and work.
>
> Name proposed by Antenore: "GNU Human Enhanced Resources Data System"

The current proposal is:
  The project is an Association who has added a JobSite module.
  Maybe others guys develop others modules later.

So, I think the above name does not fit.

> I propose "GNU Jobs": Short, easy to understand, unique, and search engine
> friendly.

It could be good for a GNU jobs site, but, as exposed above, the project is an
Association who has added a JobSite module.

> Other proposals:
>
>    - GNU HR; not proposed because we don't deal with other HR activities.
>    - GNU Hire; I believe it's not so search engine friendly, assuming
>    that people search rather for "jobs" than "hiring" when looking for job
>    sites.

My personal opinion is that the word 'herds' fit with the Association nature
of the project.

Being similar to "GNU Hurd" is the only bad point which I know right now.
Anyway, I think it can be even good, due to people think:
  ah, that is Hurd,
  and later, when we got more main stream, they will think, ah,
  that is not Hurd but Herds.

Note the gnuherds.org domain has been added to bookmarks, and several very
known sites.

P.S.: As usual, we can follow talking about this subject.

Davi