Re: GNU Herds name change?

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: GNU Herds name change?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:39:44 +0200

On 4/18/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
My personal opinion is that the word 'herds' fit with the Association nature
of the project.

Being similar to "GNU Hurd" is the only bad point which I know right now.
Anyway, I think it can be even good, due to people think:
  ah, that is Hurd,
  and later, when we got more main stream, they will think, ah,
  that is not Hurd but Herds.

That sort of confusion I believe is more likely to irritate those who found the wrong site, and make some of the more cynical think that we're trying to exploit the fame of Hurd. Maybe that's overly pessimistic...

Note the gnuherds.org domain has been added to bookmarks, and several very
known sites.

It's easy to add a HTTP rewrite rule to the Apache configuration.

For the record, I do like the GNU Herds name. I just don't know how to avoid having people erroneously associating it with Hurd. Maybe we could ask the Hurd team to change? ];-)

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds profound