Re: [Gnumed-devel] Anticoagulation project and larger planning issues

From: Thilo Schuler
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Anticoagulation project and larger planning issues
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:58:54 +1100

Hi Jim and everybody,

@ Horst, the above is partly FYI but to what extent does OSCAR's work with drugref put OSCAR significantly ("even further") ahead of Gnumed or could gnumed redeploy what OSCAR is doing with little added work perhaps especially using a browser?

I have read Horst's posts and I like the idea that drugref provides a standard interface for drugref core, but also - as long as the core is not developed enough - for external databases (like MIMS for AU).

I plan to write a web depoyable (in XUL) drug browsing and hopefully prescribing modul as a uni project during next term (March-June). I still have to fight to get into this project course but hopefully I will be successful. This would serve many purposes: - gives me experience in XUL (which I need for my openEHR GUI-Generator research which runs in parallel) - gives my part-time employer (GP practice in Sydney) a needed application which in the future could run without licensing costs. - gives me a project for uni, which is doable in 12 weeks (This is actually a crucial issue as Horst wrote the new API is just 80% ready)

The other option would be do a SOAP editor/viewer based on GNUmed's middleware and backend (also in XUL). Richard would probably be a perfect advisor (lives just 1.5 h from me).

Either way they going to be totally open-source.
@Jim: I don't know if either of them are of any help. The formulated needs for your clinic are helpful. Your GNUmed dedication is fantastic.

Two other things concerning the wiki.
1. I think the wiki link should be more prominent on gnumed.org as this is were most the action is! 2. This is a great tool and it contains a lot of information. To gain the most out of it, we should make an effort to sort it logically and keep it as up-to-date as possible meaning no missleading old information.
A newbee guide on what documents to read in which order would be very good.

-thilo

EMR needs for an anticoagulation clinic:
========================

input new patient from the keyboard,
detect / warn if duplicate patient about to be created
find patient
edit current demographic information
input health issue(s)
    indication for anticoagulation
    target intensity (INR 2.5-3.5)
input medications (warfarin & maybe a low molecular weight heparin (LMWH) e.g. tinzaparin)
input soaP
    set date for next lab_request
identify lab_request status (needed/printed/submitted vs standing order)
establish connection to lab to fetch lab data
fetch data (LOINC)
populate gnumed test_type table with any "new" combinations of
    organisation/code/coding_system
notify users that new lab data is available
import data into staging table
    match to patients (since Canada uses no lab_request id) :-(
    if lab_request originated from the clinic
        offer that encounter/episode as the one to link
    elif originated from some other provider
        create dummy encounter/episode "unrequested test results"
    update the following for actual requests +- unrequested test results
        update lab_request_id (internal to the lab)
        update lab_rxd_when (specimen date/time received)
        update results_reported_when (was the report generated)
        update request_status (final, preliminary, partial)
        update is_pending
transfer data into test_results
assign fk_reviewer
permit manual entry of lab results that did not arrive by way of the electronic interface

next, the following must be identifiable and must support a good work flow:
- for test results outside of range
    instruction obtained from doctor
    input medication change (including "no change")
    - capture the change as "as nurse user xx" for "authorizing Doctor yy"
    soaP entry references medication change and next lab_request
    patient notified & notification status is captured
    (might we want notification_status in test_results?)
    test results outside of range are marked as having been dealt with
    for all these, set reviewed_by_clinician boolean "TRUE"
- for test results within range
    soaP entry specifies per-protocol next lab_request
    patient notified & notification status is captured
    test results within range are marked as having been dealt with
    for all these, set reviewed_by_clinician boolean "TRUE"
- for overdue requests having lab_rxd_when is NULL
    patient is contacted / reminded / SoaP captured
    existing lab_request is CANCELLED
    new lab_request is entered (or should existing be modified?)
    overdue requests are marked as having been dealt with

optionally / Stage 2
- support appointments for those requiring bridging injections of LMWH
- data export / reporting tools